Thanksgiving week is here. 2020 has been so awful for so many people. Terrible things have happened to a lot of people. And the burdens some of you carry are immense. My hope is that the burdens are eased and that better days are ahead. I wish you love and peace and joy. One of my favorite quotes when life gets hard is from one of the greatest songwriters, Bruce Springsteen “tomorrow there’ll be sunshine and all this darkness passed.” May it be try for any of you suffering or struggling.
Today’s treat, a request from my husband – caramel pie, with an oreo crust and a chocolate ganache topping. I used both golden and regular oreos for the crust. I made the caramel filling (not difficult at all) and let’s face it – ganache is really a fancy word for melted chocolate. The Oreos for the pie crust need to be crushed. You can use a food processor, or a rolling pin on a countertop.. Or you can put them in a freezer bag and smash them with a rolling pin (I may or may not have done this, in anger after a particular sports competition outcome).. Or you can use a ready made Oreo, or graham cracker crust.
- Crust ingredients and directions
- 40 Oreos, finely crushed
- 8 tbs butter melted
- Combine and press into a pie pan
- Caramel filling and directions
- 8 tbs butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Whisk and melt butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Blend in cream. Let set for 15 minutes. Pour into crust. Chill 1 hour in fridge.
Ganache ingredients and directions
- Ganache ingredients and directions
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Heat cream in a microwave-safe container in 2, 45 second increments in microwave. Pour over chips. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir smooth. Pour over Caramel filling. Chill 1 hour. Store covered in fridge.