I decided to bake a smores cake because it is a summer treat and I am tired of cold weather and want it to be sunny and warm. I have also put out our patio furniture, hoping to hurry nice weather! So if it rains the next ten days, it is my fault! 😉
- Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. (325 if using non stick coated pans)
- Combine eggs, oil, buttermilk and Greek yogurt. Add cake mix and chocolate chips. Blend well.
- Spray two cake pans with baking spray
- Divide batter evenly into each (I used a one cup measuring cup to do so)
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center basically comes out clean
- Cool completely
- Place marshmallows on a tray lined with toin foil and sprayed with Pam. Broil on high for a few minutes. Set aside.
Chocolate buttercream ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups butter (softened)
- Heaping half cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs Greek yogurt
- 3 cups powdered yogurt
- Beat butter 2 minutes
- Beat in cocoa, vanilla and Greek yogurt
- Slowly blend in powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Place one cake layer, flat side down, on cake plate
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream on top
- Gently press down a few toasted marshmallows
- Place second cake layer, flat side down on top of buttercream/marshmallows
- Frost with remainder of frosting
- Gently press remaining toasted marshmallows on top.
- Store in covered container